1. Optical power: measure the size of the optical signal, which can be directly tested with an optical power meter, usually expressed in dBm
2. Optical transceiver: It is mainly composed of an optical transmitter and an optical receiver. The function is to convert the electrical signal to be transmitted into an optical signal in a timely and accurate manner and input it into the optical fiber for propagation (optical transmitter); , Accurately restore and reproduce the original electrical signal (optical receiver). Since the communication is bidirectional, the optical transceiver completes electrical/optical (E/O) and optical/electrical (O/E) conversion at the same time.
3. Laser: converts electrical signals into optical signals, which are used in optical transmitters. The main indicator is the amount of optical power that can be emitted.
4. Optical receiver: Convert the optical signal into an electrical signal and use it in the optical receiver. The main indicator is the receiving sensitivity.
5. Optical coupler: Optical coupling is a light connection between active or passive or active and passive optical devices. There are various forms of contact: optical channels, accumulation and distribution of optical power, multiplexing and demultiplexing of light of different wavelengths, and light conversion and transfer. Devices that can achieve this connection of light are called optocouplers.
6. Wavelength division multiplexer: Optical demultiplexer or optical combiner is collectively referred to as optical multiplexer, which can divide or combine multiple carriers to double the capacity of optical fiber communication. At present, there are many 1310nm/1550nm wavelength division multiplexers, which can combine and split optical signals with wavelengths of 1310nm and 1550nm.
7. Optical attenuator: It is a device that performs a predetermined amount of optical attenuation on optical power in the process of optical information transmission. According to the attenuation value, it is divided into five types: 3, 5, 10, and 20dB, which can be selected according to actual needs.
8. Optical flange head: Optical flange head is also called optical fiber connector. To realize the connection of two optical fibers, the company currently uses two types of active connectors, FC type and SC type, which can be connected or separated.
9. Optical fiber: The optical fiber that transmits optical signals is divided into two categories: multi-mode fiber and single-mode fiber. The fiber material is glass core/glass layer, the standard working wavelength of multimode fiber is 850/1310nm, and the standard working wavelength of single mode fiber is 1310/1550nm, and the attenuation constant is:
Working wavelength 850nm 1310nm 1550nm
Single-mode fiber (Class A) ≤0.35dB/km ≤0.25dB/km
Multimode fiber 3~3.5dB/km 0.6~2.0dB/km
10. Optical fiber cable: It is composed of several optical fibers, plus a sheath, an outer sheath and a reinforcing member, which has strong mechanical properties and protective properties. The types include outdoor optical cables, indoor optical cables, flexible optical cables, optical cables in equipment, submarine optical cables, special optical cables, etc.
11. Pigtail: a single-core optical cable with an optical fiber connector at one end.
12. Jumper: A single-core optical cable with connectors at both ends.